Our Lady of the Snows
Our Lady of the Snows is the only Catholic Church in Bladen County. It was dedicated on November 30th, 1941 by the Rev. Anthony Sullivan of Grey Moor.
From 1931 to 1941, the Catholics in this area celebrated Mass in the home of Sam and Helen Parker, who had moved here from Dunn. Father Henry Vosh from Newton Grove officiated first, followed by Priests from other nearby communities. The Sisters of Mercy, also from Newton Grove, gave religious instructions to the children
The land where the Church is built was donated by an anonymous patron, with the stipulation that the Church would be named Our Lady of the Snows.
Soon Mr. Parker, having received permission from the Bishop, set out to solicit and collect donations from different sources, such as friends, patrons and business associates. At this same time, Mrs. Parker spearheaded a fund raiser to purchase stained glass windows. That venture took ten years.
In 1951 the first resident Pastor was Father Anthony Spillane, assigned by Bishop Waters to serve Our Lady of the Snows. He lived in the Rectory adjacent to the Church. The Rectory was donated by the late Mr. S. B. Baddour. This structure now serves as the Parish activity center, and for religious instruction. It has been renovated and expanded. The construction of the handicap ramp for the Church, and a great deal of the labor involved in the expansion of the Rectory to a Parish Hall , had been done by Mr. Jim Schultz, a member of the Parish.
On November 30th, 1941 following the dedication of the Church, the marriage of Alma and Chick Farris was the first wedding in the new Parish Church.
In 1997 under the direction of Fr. Albert J. Gondek OSFS, "Our Lady of Snows" became a Mission Parish of "Sacred Heart of Jesus" in Whiteville, and remains to this day as a Mission Parish.
In 1941, there were nine Catholics in Elizabethtown. At this time there are currently 200 registered Catholics. We have a progressive Parish Council and an Active Community, although as a Mission Church of Sacred Heart of Jesus in Whiteville, we function as a Parish.
As of this writing, the Most Rev. Michael Burbidge is the Bishop of the Raleigh Diocese. The Very Re. Marcos León-Angulo, V.F. is the present Pastor and Dean of the Cape Fear Deanery. Ms. Joan A. Marion is our Pastoral Administrator.